A gun, a room or area to spray in, a simple tan solution and a person to spray – that’s all you need? Isn’t it? NO WAY!!
To some it seems really simple but trust me it is a little more complicated than this, and if you want to avoid the Oompa Loompa tinge, or not have your dry skin stand out like dogs balls then for god sake take these pointers into consideration.
Spray tanning actually has the ability to deliver incredible treatment results when performed using the right equipment, high grade product, and someone who is actually trained on how to ‘airbrush’ a human body.
A lot of the hair and beauty industry is spraying with what I call a “Pig” unit (because it looks like a little pig), which is a simple gun and motor. Whilst these are extremely cheap and might be perceived to be the best cost effective option to get started, cannot create the same results as finely compressed air.
Example: Just look at the automotive industry, or any spray painting workshop, you will never see a low volume low pressure turbine gun or weak turbine motor in sight. WHY? Because they aren’t powerful enough to achieve an even, flawless, result that you expect when you have your car sprayed. If it’s not good enough for a car, then it’s not good enough for human body painting either.
Our top notch professional spray tanning unit uses compressed, even airflow, for flawless airbrushing in minimum time. Its super fine mist abilities basically dry your tan instantly so you are not left wet and sticky for ages after your spray and certainly has no ability to overload your tan causing dripping or runs.
Our solutions are always fresh and active.
We have a separate spray tan room that is fitted with an industrial exhaust system from floor to ceiling, catching any over spray (not that our spray gun allows for much) so your lungs don’t end up with a golden glow too!!
The Product and The Spray Tanner:
Tanning solutions have so many ingredients, DHA percentages, and bronzer types.
You need your spray tan therapist to actually know about the solutions they are using on your skin, ingredient wise, development wise and skin colour wise!! We choose to stay away from nasty toxins such as propylene glycol, erythrulose, parabens and alcohol. Our tans are infused with antioxidants, vitamins and hydrating ingredients to ensure your tan is perfect every time.
Your therapist should be able to advise you on which spray tan solutions they have to suit YOUR skin. We have a huge range of tanning solutions which come in shades for cool skin tones and warm skin tones. To suit more acidic skins, to suit the dryer skin, to suit the older crinklier skin, to suit the oilier skin and so on. We have developers for those people who need their tan in a hurry. Offering a 1 hour development up to an 8 hour development. Offering our clients a choice shows our interest in your happiness of the resulting tan.
Application will also play a key role in avoiding an orange looking spray tan. More specifically in those problem areas such as knees, elbows, hands, feet, ankles and so on.
Your therapist has spent so much time and money obtaining a nationally recognized certification to know exactly how to airbrush the skin with the right solution, to learn about all the ingredients used and how to use a proper technique.
BELLA PELLE’S TOP TANNING TIPS:
• Pre-Tanning prep is always necessary. Perform a thorough exfoliation of your skin prior to your tan treatment. Using a sugar based body scrub is preferred as salt is very dehydrating on the skin.
• Do all of your waxing or shaving a least the day before to avoid a streaky tan.
• Do not attempt to apply spray tan solution in consecutive days — wait at least 4-5 days between applications.
• Over applying is a thing! Do not try to go too dark all at once. Less is more when it comes to spray tanning: start with only 1-2 coats, never 3.
Initial application color is ONLY BRONZER and plays no part in how the color will develop. Too much solution can be detrimental to a spray tan, and can lead to the terrible orange colour.
• Choosing the correct DHA (dihydroxyacetone) concentration percentage, to suit the relevant skin type is SUPER important.
• If you have a self-tanning mishap there are a few things you can do to push out the colour. A sugar scrub will loosen up the colour and accelerate the fading process. Coat your skin in baby oil or coconut oil first, and scrub, scrub, scrub. A hot bath following the exfoliation will also help because sweating profusely will rapidly exfoliate your skin.
• Wear loose dark clothing to your tanning appointment where possible. This will allow your tan to set with no lines or marks.
• Avoid using deodorant or moisturizer before your spray tan appointment as it will provide a barrier to the spray tan’s absorption.
• Try not to get wet for 1–2 hours after a spray tan. So if it is raining the day of your appointment, make sure you bring a large enough umbrella to cover you.
• Try to avoid activities that naturally exfoliate the skin — such as baths and chlorinated pool swimming. If you are going on holidays where you will be swimming you should use a tan extender to prolong and ‘top up’ your tan.
• Keep your skin as moisturized as possible after your spray tan to increase the longevity of the tan and help you to avoid the tan wearing off in patches due to dry skin.
Our Tanning experts are available at our YARRAWONGA clinic by appointment and are happy to discuss your spray tanning treatment options confidentially on a no obligation basis.